Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Cereal, Poop, and Shooting Stars (WARNING: The following account is real and may disturb the faint of heart...)

About four months ago I had a day that went as follows:

  • 4-year-old and 2-year-old fought all morning (like full out wrestle-mania style)
  • 45 minutes of me telling said 2 and 4-year-olds to eat their cereal
  • Internet died while working on the new business we started
  • Tried calling communications company about lost internet and was on hold for 25 minutes
  • Son pooped in the tub
  • Put kids in shower while I cleaned up poop in tub...Wrestle Mania resumed
  • Kids ran out of the shower and got water all over the floor that cannot get wet (worst part about laminate flooring)
  • Kids went outside and crossed the fence to sneak into the old man's yard (He has asked us not to let them over there before.)
  • Son cut open his back while crawling under the fence to go into the neighbor's yard
  • 2-year-old took finger nail clippers and clipped 6-month-old baby's hand with it!!!!
And this was all before 11:00 am. 

While all this was going on, I was not doing any of the list of things I had to do: 
  1. Laundry
  2. Finish the renovation on the bathroom
  3. Complete the accounting for the new business 
  4. Work out to loose the baby weight
  5. Get a haircut
  6. Unpack the bathroom supplies (just moved in May...only 5 months ago!!)
  7. Wash the sheets the baby pooped in...yesterday
  8. Finish making the kids' Halloween costumes
  9. Bathe the baby (How long has it been??)
People look at my three small children and often tell me something to the effect of, "Oh, you are going to miss these days! They go by way too quickly." And after a day like this one, I'm thinking, "Whatever! I have no idea what I could POSSIBLY miss about any of this!"

But so many people say this, and I know they know it to be true. So I tried to think...long and hard...about what it was that I might miss. I came up with something pretty important.  

My kids still love me. Seriously, they still want me around and want to do things with me and want me to take them to bed and spend time with me. I have totally freaked out at them, and they still want me to play with them. I will never get such forgiveness so easily from them again. If I acted to them in 10 years the way I do now, they would probably never speak to me again. I'm learning, and they know that, I think. What a blessing to have little ones around to forgive me. What an example. I wish I could be like them. 

Now I know this Godlike attribute is nothing to be taken for granted. Just because I CAN be forgiven by them so quickly doesn't mean I should act in a way where I NEED to be. And I really feel like I'm trying and getting better. But there are still some days that I think, "What am I going to miss about this stage of life again?" Then I think about the hilarious things my kids say.

"I have huckleberry yogurt!" -R
"No. You have Boysenberry." -A
"There are no boys in it!" -R

"I had a dream about a lady in water and her eyes opened and it scared me out of my crap." -A

"Bye! See you next later!" -R

I mean, those are just a few of the things they have said that could make me laugh out loud on any of my worst days. What is not to miss about those things? 

The Savior said to become as a child. I even think my children would qualify for His recommendation. Pure, sincere, forgiving, and really just trying to learn. 

I played a song on the piano tonight, and for the first time really listened to the words. 

Lyrics

  1. (Child) Mother, do you love me?
    Mother, will you care for me?
    Even if I turn away, or disobey, or go astray,
    Then will you love me still?
    Mother, will you teach me?
    Mother, help me choose the right.
    When I do not understand the Lord's command, please take my hand
    And lead me safely with his light.
    If my kids asked me this, I would cry. Of course I would still love them. They do disobey, and I still love them. But do I show them that? I know I can do better at showing them that love. 
  1. (First time child only.)
    I need your love, I need your light
    To show me how to be like Jesus.
    The Savior's love will light the path
    To lead me safely home.
They really do need me to show them, to teach them. That is what they want.

  1. (Mother) Oh yes, my child, I love you.
    My child, I'll always care for you.
    And with the Savior as our guide,
    I'll share the light I feel inside,
    And you will feel his love for you.
  2. Oh, yes, my child, I'll teach you.
    My child, I'll help you choose the right.
    And when you do not understand
    The Lord's command, I'll take your hand,
    And he will lead us with his light.
This last part is sung together, and it is true. I need my children to show me how to be like Jesus just as they need me to show them how to be like Him. It is symbiosis, as my daughter would say. 

  1. I need your love, I need your light
    To show me how to be like Jesus.
    The Savior's love will light the path
    To lead us safely home.
  2. Words and music: Michael Finlinson Moody, b. 1941. (c) 1986 IRI

I took out the garbage tonight and saw a shooting star in the still, clear, and truly magnificent night sky. It made me think, "What am I complaining about? There is a whole universe out there with much bigger problems in it than the fact that my son can whine the same 4 words for a solid 10 minutes! (Seriously.)" When I remember that, I remember that my life is good. My kids are good. And I really do think I will miss this time of life.  

1 comment: